Saturday, January 9, 2010

A Winter Wedding, -9 on the 9th


As I sat in my van, about to make my first wedding delivery of 2010, I looked at the temperature reader near the driver's seat and it read -9 degrees outside. I took a deep breath, grabbed the flower box and made a run for the hotel doors. I did plan ahead. I packed the precious and delicate cargo of hydrangea, calla lilies and anemones in tissue and newspaper inside a cardboard box which was inside a plastic bag. A woman inside the hotel asked me "How do you keep those warm?!" My reply was (as any born and raised Minnesotan will tell you how to keep warm) "Layers."

Here is a fun idea for future winter brides: Have your floral designer create an outside bouquet. If you want to take any photos outside when it is below 32 degrees you cannot take your fresh flowers with you. They will freeze, wilt and turn brown. A bouquet especially created to withstand the winter chill would be a nice addition to outdoor photographs. Items that can be used in a winter hardy bouquet would be boxwood, any type of evergreen, blue privet berry and eucalyptus. I recently created an outdoor bouquet using some "floral leftovers" for a December 2009 wedding which had cedar, white tuber rose and unopened burgandy peony buds. Except for the cedar, the other items would certainly freeze, but we didn't mind. The bouquet would last long enough to take some photos and capture the moment.



bouquet top view

Ceremony flowers of submerged hydrangea.
There was another set on the other side.

For the centerpieces, the bride wanted purple, elegant and budget-friendly flowers. Two stems of purple vanda orchids looked soft, yet clean, very pretty. I also placed a single orchid on each guest's napkin. It adds more color and makes the guest feel really welcome at the celebration. Orchids, gotta love em'. I also gave the head table 10 stems of orchids adding more of the bride's color of choice to the day.